US-313

Welcome! I hope you enjoy!

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My Educational Philosophy

Until now, I havent really thought about what my philosophy on education consists of. But I like to think I have had a philosophy and I have not thought of it as a philosophy; more than likely it was merely an understanding I had reached after being in school for so long. My journey starts off a little like everyone elses. I completed highschool and was well on my way to college. It was never a question as to whether or not i would go to college. I wanted to go to college and I wanted to go as far away from home as I could. I did not take the time to think about the huge life experience i was about to embark on but then again, mentally i was not on that level.
My first year of college consisted of partying from Thursday to Sunday. Class was an option, however, it wasnt a priority. Second semester rolled around and my grades showed how much I loved to party. I had a D average for a gpa, and I lost my full tuition scholarship. I was devestated and for the life of me could not figure out how I partied as much as my friends did and they were excelling in their studies. My mother and my professors told me countless times that I could do it; It was all a matter of applying myself to get what I desired. I heard them but I wasnt really listening. I was enjoying where i stood and didnt want to change my priorities around.
The wake up call began to sink in when i was in an accident and came out without a scratch. This was a message to me that I needed to get it together and finish what i came to school to do. However, I was beginning to feel as if this was a journey that would not be acheived overnight; it was a process that would change me for the better. I went through having my own place, being evicted, having a job and losing that very same job and i was crushed. I was also depressed. I decided to move home after going two months without work.
I am now at Ursuline College where I am happier than ever. I am surrounded by many positive people, students and professors included, who are just as dedicated to my success as I am.
I never really knew what my educational philosophy is but I now know that in order to get what you want, you have to be willing to fight for it! NOTHING worth having is ever going to fall in your lap!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment